Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

The Right Questions

In a reply to a Facebook comment, one of my friends said he would vote based on one question. “Am I better off than I was four years ago”?

To get a good perspective on the race for President, we should be asking many questions. The right questions. Because Presidents set more than just policy. They set a tone for moving into the future. So the main question is not “are we better often four years ago”, but “where are we going into the future”?

 

When I hear “Make America Great Again”, I wonder, what do we want to get back to? Do we want to get back to a time of major racial injustice? Do we want to get back to a time where women were subservient and had limited choice? 

 

To me, MAGA means finding our moral compass again, not halting progress. 

 

A big question is, “Who will provide the most sensible governance”? What I saw in the Trump White House was chaos. I’ve worked in government my entire career. I can tell you from experience that chaos never provides good governance! How much actual good policy was provided from the Trump White House. Very little! You can’t develop good policy in chaos. Period.

 

Biden, on the other hand, worked with both Republicans and Democrats and helped enact some good policy, including infrastructure. He ran an organized White House. Things got done. No chaos. 

 

My final important question is this; “Who will be the better public servant”? 

No comments:

Post a Comment